Wyoming...Why Not?

Travel log for our trip to Wyoming! Join us won't you?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oviedo, FL

I have been a Christian my entire life. I have never known what it is like not to know Jesus. I know that He makes life easier to live and brings value to our day to day living. I want to share this excitement with others.

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Day 7: Last Day in Yellowstone and onto Jackson

We woke up this morning ready to move on to Jackson. We knew that this would be an exciting time because we still had several great things planned for our vacation. But the good news was, we still had things to get done here.
We had breakfast and then headed over to the ranger building to listen to a presentation on wolves and coyotes in order for the girls to complete their Junior Ranger patches. The girls were able to touch real fur from each of the animals and learn how to tell the difference between the two. This was great for both of them. The presentation itself was fascinating and really explained the importance of both of the animals in the ecosystem as well as explaining how the wolf was almost extinct and now is no longer in danger. Both of the girls did a great job of listening until it was over. We then headed inside to present their work to the ranger so they could their patch. It was great to see the Ranger really focus on the girls and hold them accountable for the work they had done. She read through their sheets carefully and asked them questions about different parts of their work. Both of the girls were able to answer all of her questions thouroughly and without help from either Scott or myself. Yeah!!!! She then gave them the option of being announced to everyone in the center or sinply getting their patch there. Torii opted to receive hers quietly whereas Harper wanted to be announced. (Shock!) It was great because everyone clapped for her and she felt great about it.
Once they had their patches, we headed straight outside where we waited for Old Faithful to erupt. We waited there for about 20 minutes and after 2 or 3 false starts, it erpted magnificently. I cannot even begin to describe it. I have seen it on TV several times, but there was something magical about being there. WOW!!!! Everyone agreed it was worth the wait.
It was now time to head onto Jackson, Wyoming. This would be our last stop on our wild adventure. Off we went. The best part about this drive was that it took us through the Grand Teton Park. If you have not been there, you must go. WOW!! I have seen the Rockies, the Appalachian mountains, and even the Alps, but I must say the Tetons are quite spectacular. They shoot up into the sky out of no where and greet the clouds like they are the best of friends. It was remarkable. You just couldn't take it in enough.
The problem was, I hadn't slept well the night before so I began to doze off on this great ride. That is when the coolest thing happened. I was just about to fall asleep when all of a sudden Scott yelled," Moose!'' I jumped out of my seat and said,"What did you say?'" He said," I just saw a Mother moose and her calf walk over that hill back there." So I demanded that he turn around right then and there. He did. We found the two moose eating grass along a small lake and swimming in the water. We must have stayed there and watched the two of them for about 10 minutes. It was so exciting. This was the only animal we hadn't seen that we were hoping to. I must say they are much darker than I had expected and their heads are huge. After that I didn't see the need to sleep any longer.
We arrived in Jackson around 3:00. This is a great western ski town and really seemed to be the most crowded place we had been. It has all of the wooden plank boardwalks throughout the entire town and it seemed to set almost inside of the Tetons. We found our little hotel that seemed to be the place that time had forgotten. It was called the Sundance Inn. It is a little Mom and Pop place that has clean rooms and free breakfasts at the most reasonable rate in Jackson. It definitely was the Ritz, but we liked it just the same.
At 4:00 we were off again for our next wild escapade. . . White water rafting. It was great. Both of the girls were a little nervous about the whole thing. Torii especially was not certain what to expect, but we reassured that everything was going to be fine, and it was. The trip started around 4:30 and we traveled down the snake river for about 8 miles. We drifted down quite a bit of calm water, but we did survive several class 2 and 3 rapids. Our family was in the front of the boat (We thought we were in the back until the guide realized we were in backwards. . . scary), and went through this one class 3 rather hard. Scott and I realized what was about to happen so we told both of the girls to take hold of our legs with both arms and to not let go. Our boat then hit the rapid and we were completely flooded with water. Both of the girls were knocked off of their seats and completely soaked, but they both loved every minute of it. It was wild. Luckily they had given us splash to wear on the trip, so they were not too uncomfortable.
At the end of the ride, we docked, changed, and then went to a cook out where we had steak and salmon on the side of the river. I do not think I have ever seen our girls eat so much. They were so pumped up and the adrenaline was flowing in them rather quickly. It was one of my favorite moments of the whole trip. The other neat thing was that there was a large family on the trip from India. The girls befriended a 9-year-old girl from their family, and the three of them ate together and road back to the main office together. It is wonderful how accepting they are.
By the time we got back to the hotel it was time for bed. I don't think anyone will have any trouble sleeping. If only we can get the girls to stop talking, that would be nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home